[pmwiki-users] Cross-group wiki trails

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Mar 27 06:26:17 CST 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 11:57:06AM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>>I have been unable to produce an example from scratch. However, one of
>>the three wikis I'm administering indeed exhibits the problem.
>
> Yes, it's a bug.  I'm working on it now.

Is it already fixed in beta27?

>> I also found that one other trail forms a circle.
>> Trail page:
>>   http://shaman-ca.de/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Krafttiere/Krafttiere
>>
>> If I understand things correctly, the trail should be:
>> Tiermenschen-Menschentiere <-> Wolf <-> Adler <-> Eichhörnchen <-> Schlange.
>
> Actually, because the trail is listed twice on the page, PmWiki sees
> the trail as
>
>    Tiermenschen-Menschentiere <-> Wolf <-> Adler <->
>      Eichhörnchen <-> Schlange <-> Tiermenschen-Menschentiere <->
>      Wolf <-> Adler <-> Eichhörnchen <-> Schlange
>
> which has a circle built-in to it.  (The ability to create rings
> is by design.)

Hmm... I understand that having a ring is a Good Thing, but this
particular way of specifying ring-ness doesn't feel right to me.
I might want to have the trail just in a single place on the page, and
make it a ring. Or, conversely, I might want to have it in two places
(at the top and at the bottom), and as a linear sequence.

There's one other thing: I'd like to have a way to include the trail
index page in the trail itself. I know that this can already can be done
by including a self-referential link in the bullet list, but it's quite
dumb if a page says "List of Features", and the very first entry on it
says "* [[List of Features]]". It would look stupid, and I don't like
writing pages that look stupid ;-)

Maybe a trail index page should (optionally) include a directive to
control the appearance and general gestalt of trail markups. Something like

   (:trail <options>:)

where each <option> could set up the trail sequence (and, maybe, set
other things as well). Those options that set up the trail sequence
could look like this:

   end-index-start            - circular, index page in ring
   end-index                  - linear, index at end
   index-start                - linear, index at start
   end-index index-start      - linear, index both at start and end
   (no sequencing <options>)  - linear, index page not in sequence

Comments welcome.

Regards,
Jo