[pmwiki-users] Question about (:css .class { properties } :)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 30 12:21:06 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:37:27AM -0600, John Feezell wrote:
> I'm looking at the (:css .class { properties } :) markup and was hoping
> that I could get some answers to the following questions:
>
> 1.  Is this code active in the latest version of PmWiki?

No, as there's still a fair amount of discussion/debate about the
name of the directive and how it should be integrated into the whole
(especially its relationship to WikiStyles).

> 2.  How would it look in actual use?

My original proposal was

   (:css .someclass { property list } :)

which would result in .someclass being added to the page's inline
stylesheet via $HTMLStylesFmt.  Also, in my proposal, only simple
CSS classes would be allowed -- i.e., an author would not be able to
change element styles via something like:

   (:css body { ... } :)
   (:css #wikileft { ... } :)

> 3.  When is it applied in the markup process?

Probably as a directive, but it probably doesn't make a lot of
difference.

> 4.  What effect does it have on a page and its contents?

Well, that would depend on how an author uses the directive and
what classes are being used within the page itself.  But effectively
it just generates additional stylesheet rules in the <head> section
of the document.