[pmwiki-users] Upgrade Instructions for Mac Users

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Mar 31 23:13:16 CST 2005

:-) Patrick...It's OK... If we  (mac users) understand it.  If that's
your standard, that's fine

  "A standard is simply a decision that the consensus reality on a
particular spec has reached some arbitrary critical mass... the weight
of which you and I can decide on between the 2 of us....we just have to
be very sure we are actually communicating..."

 From the Book of  WHEW
  (WHatEverWorks)

>  I don't
> think we can easily split pub/ at this point, and making distributions
> without local/ or cookbook/
> might cause more overall confusion than they
> save.

Oh yes, agreed! The Mac model that
--the core application files live in
"/Applications/MyFavApp/ (an OSX package of many files)
e.g. [PmWiki/PmwikiApp/*files]

  that are completely overwritten on upgrade and

--associated custom config files live in
  /Library/ApplicationSupport/MyFavApp/
e.g. [PmWiki/Local/*Wiki.d,config.php,Skins,MyScripts]

has it's own problems to be sure...

I was not suggesting to change anything in the mode of upgrade or
directory structure... just a 1-2 liner in the upgrades notes:
Possibly, if you feel it will confuse people, then with a platform
specific disclaimer

"For intrepid and GUI addicted Mac users, beware that if you do
wholesale drag and drop of the new PMWiki folder over the old one,
unlike a Unix recursive copy operation, you *will* overwrite your local
customization files. You are advised instead, to either a) open each
subfolder and copy the files in their respective directories b) or use
install from the terminal if you know how."

Or, let it be for now. If some Mac drag--droppers whine in the future
about overwrite..... you will know why.

All is well and PM wiki is marvelous!

Sivakatirswami