[pmwiki-users] Mail Post Manual Trigger

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon May 2 20:27:04 CDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> I haven't touched the discussion between Pm and Radu. I think it gets
> things backwards, by letting efficiency issues guide the design
> process - IMHO, the design should be guided by usability principles
> first, with efficiency as a secondardy role. (Efficiency problems are
> easier to fix than usability problems - if only because it's easier to
> diagnose efficiency problems.)

As one who re-initiated this thread and was awestruck by the snowball
effect (grin)

and thinking "usability"  + "doability"
while  not wanting to stifle big visions:

My initial thought was to stay very much inside the existing parameters
of the mail post config where the email addresses are set by admin in
advance and then triggered from the page. This puts a burden on admin
for the list, and i  is extremely narrow in scope for a limited team of
collaborators. But (jumping up and down) we really need it. So we can
avoid checking the wiki for responses in a dialog on developing a spec,
for example.

The current mail post model seems to issue emails even if you just
"touch" the page in some trivial fashion (click edit just to see what
the mark up looks like and then cancel, for example.) and one sometimes
wants to limit it to change on a single page vs, a whole group. We tend
to work here in small teams... 2-5 people involved in one project, 2-3
people in another... email lists for each project would be set in
advance and the authors trigger email posts to their team members, the
wiki itself is passive other than knowing what to do and who to send it
to.

As PM said, if you start thinking of a full blown MLM integration...
things go over the top. Very cool... but wow, that's a big project--
sometimes a small, focused tool "simple hack" is really very powerful,
easy to deliver, and gets you part way there...?

Sivakatirswami