[pmwiki-users] ugly .flock bug

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 5 11:02:06 CDT 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 05:36:04PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> >Now, when you say that PmWiki prior to beta26 would result in
> >"totally blank pages" -- do you mean simply that the page request
> >times out, and the reader sees nothing?  Or would it instantly return
> >a blank page?  And by "blank page" do you mean nothing at all in the
> >browser, or a page with headers and footers but blank content?
>
> I had a situation with an "empty page", too. What was empty was just the
> edit field for the wiki text.
> Just as a data point; I never quite tracked it down and don't know
> whether it's related to Radu's problem at all.

There is a known bug with simultaneous edits, in that on systems
that don't have a "diff3" utility available will cause the
edit text to be lost rather than presenting the merged text.
This tends to include most Windows systems, as well as systems
in safe_mode that have calls to external programs disabled.

It's a big bug that I really ought to fix soon.  The updated behavior
will be that if merging fails the author will receive back his text,
along with a note that the text changed while she was editing and
a link to be able to see the changes that happened then.