[pmwiki-users] e-protect.php issues

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue May 10 04:35:09 CDT 2005

geoff hopkins wrote:
> Am having issues with the e-protect.php script.
>
> I have installed it in /cookbook and added includ stmt. to
> config.php.
>
> The script works, in that it does convert [[mailto:...]] to the
> [[hidden-email:...]] format.
>
> The issues arises when you want to send an email to that person.  the
> encrypted email address stays in "To:" field, and makes the address
> undeliverable..

You need to have JavaScript installed and activated. eProtect works by
scrambling the data and adding JavaScript snippets that unscramble the
data in the user's browser; the strategy is that spam harvesters don't
go to the length that actually executing the script would be.

Note that the "scrambling" is a simple ROT13 encoding, which most spam
harvesters routinely apply to check whether it's actually a mail
address, so eProtect offers little actual protection. Installing it is
also a one-way trip: the scrambled data is written to the page store, so
if you uninstall eProtect, you have to manually unscramble (or re-type)
all mail addresses.

Regards,
Jo