[pmwiki-users] Suggestion for wiki calendar

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu May 19 17:03:11 CDT 2005

On Thursday, 19 May 2005 10:09 PM, malexism <malexism at free.fr> wrote:
>John Rankin a écrit :
>> ... However in a full calendar, it might be slow,
>> as it has to process the full text of every entry.
>
>and a page for each entry ? Slow too ?
>20550519a
>20050519b
>
>Different pages for each entry is best for using categories, search and
>pagelist, isn't it ? The problem is links in the calendar table
>!
>
>marc

Yes indeed.

So far, I have avoided calendar sub-pages, for the following reasons:

- they should form part of a general wiki sub-page mechanism

- there isn't yet an agreed markup for denoting subpages; I made
  an experimental version using [[*abc]] and the last discussion
  on sub-pages tended towards, but did not definitively agree on,
  [[, abc]]

- I wasn't able to come up with an overall design and set of
  behaviours that I felt happy with

In general, I follow a rule of 'when in doubt, leave it out'.

But now might be a good time to revisit this, in the context
of just the calendar, but with an eye on the wider picture.

So the first proposal is that we'd denote a sub-page by
writing [[, abc]].

I wouldn't want to go any further until we are satisfied that
this is the best markup to choose. From memory, using a comma
was generally considered to be 'not bad, and the best of an
otherwise not very good lot'.

--
JR