[pmwiki-users] PmWiki seems to "hang" on overloaded boxes

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Sun May 22 09:22:18 CDT 2005

At 08:11 AM 5/22/2005, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>Here's what happened: PmWiki suddenly started to "hang", i.e. it would not
>respond at all, or display only part of the output and "hang". With
>"hang", I mean that the browser still has the data-is-forthcoming
>animation, but no new data ever arrives. (For an "forever" value of one or
>two minutes.)

Um. Have you tried deleting the .flock file? If after the one or two
minutes you actually do get the page, this is not the issue.

>1) Has anybody seen similar behavior?

Similar, yes, but not being able to modify server setup, I've no idea if
it's the same problem. Does it happen when you have a vanilla pmwiki or is
it caused by some mods?

>3) Does anybody know how to diagnose server load well? (I have a Debian
>Linux.) I need to see what processes go to swap, how much of each process
>got swapped out, CPU usage, and similar data. "top" seems to fit the bill,
>but I find it difficult to interpret the data (this may just be a case of
>RTFM, but I'd like to hear whether there are friendlier alternatives
>before delving too deeply into the "top" manual page - it's over 1000
>lines...) "top" also seems to be limited to giving a current-situation
>snapshot, no overview over time - and I'd like to do a post-hoc analysis
>of how loaded the system was at, say, three o'clock in the morning when
>I'm in bed :-)

I would suggest debugging a top command very well, until it does exactly
what you need, then place it on the crontab with a pipe into a log file.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)