[pmwiki-users] RE: Fixed: Error in cookbook rename function

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 26 19:26:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:10:50AM +0200, Dirk Blaas wrote:
> To avoid the problem of incompatibility with next beta's of PmWiki, i would
> vote for the rename function to be promoted to the core functionality. I
> think it offers very basic functionality.

This is just a side note about "the core functionality", cookbook scripts,
and releases...

"Promoting rename into the core" doesn't really do anything by
itself to avoid incompatibility -- it just increases
someone's workload (typically mine) whenever a new release is about
to be made.  In short, to do this I have to either
   1.  assume responsibility for ongoing maintenance of the rename script
   2.  coordinate releases with whoever is keeping the script up to date

This isn't to say that we can't place rename in the core, or that
I'm not willing to maintain it--it just means that simply designating
something as core doesn't really solve incompatibility as much as it
shifts responsibility and workloads.

Thus, in order for things to be designated "core" there needs to be
a strong indication from the user community that the feature is really
needed and used by a large number of people.