[pmwiki-users] Credit managment

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 31 10:04:22 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 02:16:15PM +0200, Peter Brink wrote:
> On another mailinglist, cc-licenses (see the thread started by the message:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2005-May/002313.html [it's
> quite a long thread...]), there's has been some discussions on how to best
> manage credits and attributions on a wiki.
>
> I've reviewed the cookbook recipes that tangents credit management and while
> it's possible to easily show all contributors to a page or track down what
> pages an author has contributed to, I think it would be nice if there was a
> script that could list everyone that has contributed to the wiki. This way an
> administrator could easily set up a credits page.
>
> Any ideas on how to go about devising such a script?

Here's one slightly different way to approach this in PmWiki:

   $RecentChangesFmt['Main.Credits'] = '* $AuthorLink  ';

This will create a page called "Main.Credits" that has author
names added each time a post is made.  In addition, the most recent
authors will always appear at the top of the page.

This also makes it possible to easily "edit" the page in case there
are authornames that shouldn't be listed in the contributors for
some reason.  Contributors also remain listed even when page histories
expire.

Of course, this doesn't prepopulate the Main.Credits page with the
authors of existing pages, but we can probably come up with a script
to do that.

As far as devising a script to automatically generate lists of contributors,
it's best to do something similar to the way that the pagelist formatters
work (see scripts/pagelist.php for details).  If you can provide me with
a more detailed spec I might be able to throw something together.