[pmwiki-users] question about password files

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Nov 7 12:55:03 CST 2005

At 2005-11-07  05:46 PM +0100, Patrick Ogay is rumored to have said:
>and later I tryed with different kind of password-length  in the
>same .htpasswd, seem's a bad idea.
>but the worst:
>the correct statment seems to be and works:
>    $AuthUser['vhcuser']  = "$FarmD/local/.htpasswd";
>    $AuthUser['pogaz']    = "$FarmD/local/.htpasswd";
>where vhcuser, pogaz  are  users in the password file
>
>**not**  as I understood the documentation:
>
>$AuthUser['htpasswd'] = 'local/.htpasswd';
>(I thought pmwiki searches user/passwd in the passwd-file, here the
>user would be htpasswd)
>

>Wouldn't it be senseful to be able to define the user through  the
>passwordfile?  Like I tought, it would be.

Patrick

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but I just updated
the AuthUser page as follows:
=============

Passwd-formatted File

You may also specify a
<http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUser#passwd-files>passwd-formatted
file (usually called .htpasswd on Apache servers) by including a
special "htpasswd" user and the path to your passwd-formatted file.
If you have usernames and passwords in a file called .htpasswd in
your local/ directory, you will write:

     $AuthUser['htpasswd'] = 'local/.htpasswd';

$AuthUserHtPasswd = 'local/.htpasswd';

To access an .htpasswd file which is stored outside of your web
structure, you need to specify the entire path:

     $AuthUser['htpasswd'] = 'C:/path/to/directory/.htpasswd';
=================
Each line of the .htpasswd file should look something like:

      NeilHerber:$apr1$eg3.....$ZOTsfrtyhbe45bhOsW1

where the username is to the left of the colon(:) and the encrypted
password to the right. AuthUser automatically recognizes the type of
encryption used.

To allow user "NeilHerber" to perform some action on a page, you
would need to set the proper "attr" setting to "id:NeilHerber".

There is no need to reference the .htpasswd file anywhere except in
config.php. The reference need to appear *before* the include for AuthUser.

Does that help? Or does it just confuse things?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668