[pmwiki-users] A Wiktionary with PmWiki?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 9 11:17:14 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 06:04:38PM +0100, gc200 at gmx.de wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, would it bother anyone if pagenames in urls were
> > always lowercase, i.e., if the above always appeared as
> > "contact_patrick" in a url?  (It would of course display with
> > appropriate capitalization in page titles and the like.)
> >

> Thanks Patrick,
> I personally don't like automatic mangling of Urls and Names, when there's
> no possibility to switch it off. I think, names should be preserved as much
> as possible in the way they have been entered.

Yes, but in this case what exactly do you mean by
"the way they have been entered"?  For example, I will often
want to write about [[basic text editing]], but have the
page be titled "Basic Text Editing".  Which one of these is
"the way the name was entered" -- is it "basic_text_editing"
or "Basic_Text_Editing"?

What about for links appearing at the beginning of a sentence?

   [[Basic text editing]] can be performed using any web browser.

The problem with saying that names should be preserved in the way
they have been entered is that there is more than one way to enter
a name, so we have to pick one of them as being the canonical form.