[pmwiki-users] authentication problems (built-in and authuser)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Nov 24 11:21:55 CST 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 05:17:08PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> I have found it easier not to use action=login, but direct login
> requests via a login link to a dedicated Login page, like Main.Login.
> This page is read protected with the edit password, so a
> non-authenticated visitor is prompted for a password automatically.
> After successful login he sees the login page content, which is a
> simple welcome message.
> This works for systems with authuser or without.

This approach will continue to work and is a very good one.

However, there are some sites that would like to have the login
information appear within the context of the current page -- i.e.,
to not have the visitor magically transported from OtherGroup.SomePage
to Main.Login (which may have different sidebar, formatting, skin, etc.),
and this is what ?action=login is intended to address.