[pmwiki-users] Workflow?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Nov 27 20:36:39 CST 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 03:32:00PM -0500, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
> Is there any way of implementing simple workflow?
>
> Mostly, it would be convenient if new pages and changes were hidden
> until released, so that authors could complete work in stages.

The problem I've always run into with this is finding good answers
to "hidden from who" and "visible to who"?

Are we assuming a limited set of authors?  Would authors always
see and edit the latest draft, while non-authors see only the
released versions?  I can envision situations where authors don't
realize that an updated version of a page hasn't been released,
or where an author views a released version of a page and goes to
edit it and gets very confused because the edited version doesn't
match the released one.

One option is to configure the system so that edits always take
place on "-Draft" versions of pages, and then provide an easy way
to replace the released version with the -Draft text.

Another option is to create a special "released.d/" directory for
released versions of the pages, while edits always take place on
the pages in the "wiki.d/" directory.

In short, there are lots of options here, but we need a slightly
better specification to get to an implementation.