[pmwiki-users] New Page Creation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Nov 28 11:26:54 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:56:33AM -0500, DaveG wrote:
> I tried to write up something consise to help complete wiki-newbies
> understand what can be done with a wiki. Explaining Edit was easy.
> Explaining how to create a *new* page was not. Anyone have anything better?

> # Edit a page someone has already started by clicking the edit page tab
> you see on all pages.
> # To start a new article is really more difficult to explain than to do:
>    1. add a link to the new page by editing an existing page (use the
> [[My New Page Title]] square brackets to add a link to an existing page).
>    2. after saving your changes, you'll see the new link is underlined
> indicating a link to a non-existent page
>    3. click the link and you'll be editing a new page. Add your content!

This is essentially what the second paragraph of "Creating new pages"
says in the PmWiki docs:

    Thus, a simple mechanism to create a new page is to simply edit
    an existing page and add a link to the page you want to create,
    such as [[my new page]]. (Main.HomePage and Main.WikiSandbox are
    good places in which to create initial links.) Then, after saving
    the changes to the existing page, click on the "?" following your
    link to bring up a form for creating your new page. Enter the
    text of your new page in the form, press Save, and you're done!

Wikipedia puts a "create new page box" in the middle of their create page
description -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Starting_a_new_page .
A new page box can be done in PmWiki with the NewPageBox recipe
(http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewPageBox).