[pmwiki-users] Workflow?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Nov 28 14:43:29 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:19:08PM -0500, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> >>However, as I've understood the
> various proposals the "edit" action would *always* come up with a draft,
>
> No, I meant that the edit action would come up with a draft *only if a
> draft copy is present*. A draft copy would only be present IF an edit
> user had previously explicitly decided to save a draft (radio button
> choice between "publish" and "save as draft") before save.

Oh.  This sounds more like what I wrote in my alternate proposal,
which is that there would be "Save" and "Save as draft" buttons.
In general I'm not keen on radio buttons -- I generally prefer
separate explicit actions.  And the site admin or recipe can easily
change the "Save" button to be something like "Save as release"
or "Publish".  (Note that the verb "publish" has a different meaning
for other receipes, such as PublishPDF.)

So, pressing "Save as draft" saves the current page into
"Group.PageName-Draft", and the -Draft page is used for all
subsequent edits of the original page until the normal "Save"
button is pressed.  When "Save" is pressed, any existing -Draft
page is deleted.

> Have you decided if you're going to do something like this?

Not yet, but the stars are aligning in that direction.  In general
I choose to implement based on perceived importance and difficulty
of implementation.  So, as a particular feature becomes more well-
understood (through discussions such as this one), its difficulty
of implementation goes down, which makes it much more likely to
be implemented.  :-)