[pmwiki-users] Wiki Passwords

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 30 16:42:30 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 02:23:36PM -0800, Dan Weber wrote:
> I have looked through the PmWiki documentation and most of the mailing
> list archive but I was unable to find an answer to the following:
>
> One can assign passwords or userids to single Wiki pages or groups with
> the ?action=attr method. Is there a way to see what passwords are
> currently assigned to a page and selectively delete some, instead of
> having to clear them all and add the ones again that are to be kept? It
> would be nice if the attribute form would show the currently applied
> passwords.

Well, although one is able to see what ids and groups are set for
a page, there's not a way to see the exact passwords used because
they're encrypted when saved.  I agree that this isn't totally
ideal; perhaps we can come up with a solution for it.

> If using the AuthUser script, how can a user change his/her password?
> Is it even possible?

At present there's not a capability for users to set their own
passwords in PmWiki -- for the moment that's being left to external
modules to implement (since there are many different places that
passwords can be stored).

I do have a plan to provide a mechanism for storing passwords and
identities in a wiki page, and an ?action=changepw to allow individuals
to set/change a password, but I'm not there yet.