[pmwiki-users] Sourceforge project for cookbook recipes?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Oct 2 13:04:26 CDT 2005

Neil Herber schrieb:
> I know that some of the Unix Crunchy Goodness (TM) folks

You called?

;-)

> will probably explain to me that CVS is much simpler and less error
> prone. ;-)

I won't, since CVS is indeed overkill for publishing a linear sequence
of software revisions.

You need CVS if you wish to coordinate multiple writers who modify the
same files. That's not an issue in PmWiki as it is organised today - and
it's hardly of any relevant to PmWiki admins who just want to download
new versions. (CVS is useful for some other things as well, but you
don't *need* it. And there are alternatives to CVS - in my book, CVS is
deprecated and shouldn't be used for new repositories.)

A hint might be that even SourceForge doesn't encourage the hosted
projects to roll out their software via CVS. They have linear lists of
downloadable packages, too (in addition to the CVS facilities).

Regards,
Jo