[pmwiki-users] Re: Some experiments with whitespace indentation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Oct 17 02:19:30 CDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:52:42AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:

> Anyway, Patrick, my primary reason for this post is to say *thanks* for
> writing this :-) :-) :-)

You're very welcome; it took me seemingly forever to figure out a
good way to implement it, but I'm pretty happy with the result.

> I know that I've earlier offered to document this feature, so if there's
> no objections I'm volunteering to do so. With just a little bit of luck,
> I'll be able to do this in a few days.

That'd be great, of course we need to let it stabilize a bit also.  :-)

> How about if this function is released under a *beta* label for some time
> in order for authors to get a feel for it?  The important thing about the
> beta aspect would be that authors need to know that details of the
> syntax/semantics might change.

Actually, there are several changes in the pipeline that fall in the
category of possibly deserving a "beta" label:
   - Defaulting to wikiwords off
   - allowing whitespace-based indents
   - defaulting to relative urls / auto-detect https: urls
   - `WikiWord disables the wikiword for the remainder of the page
   - automatic filling in of form values from array
   - wiki-based login page form (analogous to Site.EditForm)
   - support for section-based editing

and possibly
   - change WikiWord pattern to require two lowercase letters
     (thus PhD, CPUs, etc. are no longer WikiWords)

So, I may start a very short 2.1.beta series to add these features,
so that site admins know that some new features may affect existing
sites and to allow cookbook authors some time to update any recipes
needed.  Then a 2.1.0 release would follow very shortly thereafter.

Comments?