[pmwiki-users] {$UrlPage}

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 11:38:52 CDT 2005

> PmWiki never considers any page to be "not found" -- like many wikis
> it treats a request for a non-existent page name to be an invitation
> to create the page.
>
> However, it makes perfect sense to me that perhaps one would want a
> non-existent page to produce a "404 Not Found" for certain applications.
> I'll see about adding this as an option into the core.

I, like others, am using PmWiki more as a CMS than a wiki and this
would be great. I haven't looked at any code just yet or explored the
feasibility of it all, but this is the way I'd like to see it work
once the options are properly set:

Only logged in users can create pages. Perhaps by selecting
action=create?? or maybe we could just use action=edit?? PmWiki would
then check to see if they are logged in and have permission to create
a page in that group. If so, page is created etc. If not, some error
message is displayed, or login screen if not logged in. Any requests
to display a non-existent page (no action=create) would get "404 Not
Found." It would be really nice, although not necessary, to have the
'create' links work much like the 'attach' links do now. The user adds
a link to a non-existent page on an existing one. The URL that is
generated on the existing page includes the action=create in it. The
user just clicks the link and adds content to the new page - assuming
s/he has permission to do so.

Hmm, come to think if it, if the link generation worked that way by
default, the entire thing would just be a permissions issue. The
default would be everyone has all permissions, so there wouldn't be
any difference, except when a user enters a URL to a non-existent page
directly from their browsers address bar and fails to include the
action=create part. Even then, a custom 404 page could include a link
to create the page, if that was the desired result. For that matter,
Site.PageNotFound could be said 404 page with PmWiki set to return the
http header: '404 Not Found' with that page. Besides, shouldn't the
404 header be returned whether the user is given the option to create
the page or not; at least when they request to view (not edit, create
etc) the page?

That's my thoughts more or less. Is this even feasible without to much
effort? I don't know. Anyone else like the sounds of that?
--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com