[pmwiki-users] Is it possible to include: quicktime movies and PDF files

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:12:09 CDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Rene Visco <rvisco at csdr-cde.ca.gov> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it's possible to include pdf files in wiki pages similar to this
> command
>
> (:include url:)
>
> ??  Since most of us have PDF browser plug-ins, can the pdf file be launched
> within a wiki page?  I can create direct download links for PDF files stored
> in the server.  Just wonder if I can make it easier for the users to view
> PDF files instead of downloading the files and waiting for it to be
> launched?

If I'm understanding you correctly, the answer is No. You cannot embed
a PDF as part of a HTML document (like you can with Flash for
example). PDF's are only viewable along. The user will have to select
the link to the PDF and then view the PDF in the appropriate reader
(usually a plugin for their browser). Of course, this is why many
people discourage the use of PDFs. Is there any way the content of
those docs could be directly included in the wiki instead?

> I attempted to insert a quicktime movie in a wiki page.  It's not feasible.
> Is it possible to include video clips in wiki pages?  (Flash can be embedded
> in wiki pages.)
Hmm, well one can embed quicktime movies in html, so is should be
possable with the right code. However, I am not the person that can
help you with this one.