[pmwiki-users] Re: commented version of wikistyles.php

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Oct 24 19:12:26 CDT 2005

On Saturday, 22 October 2005 9:55 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>Instead of the <:blockstyle> tag, can you *just* have a
>post-processing rule that converts
>
>   <tag style='something'>...</tag>

>?  Then you can likely continue to use the existing
>wikistyles code.
>
>Pm

The *just* (emphasis added) may or may not be a killer.

Thinking out loud:

We'd have to define all possible wikistyles.php outputs, map
them to their print dtd equivalents, then effect a translation.
We'd have to get wikistyles to detect and qualify the correct
print dtd tags, so it detects, for example, <description> instead
of <dl>. Finally, we'd have to make sure we don't inadvertently
process styles already correctly output from stdmarkup.

It's a toss-up in my mind whether this is easier or harder
than re-writing the ApplyStyles function for the print dtd.

So my thinking was that we get an AltApplyStyles function to
output as much as it can in one pass, and unambiguously mark
the exceptions which require post-processing. If we can
configure the wikistyle variables to make ApplyStyles do
this for us, so much the better.

We'll have to suck it and see...

--
JR