[pmwiki-users] Re: recipes on core elements

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Thu Sep 1 15:45:33 CDT 2005

OK, it was worth asking :)

So here's what I have in mind, for the use of recipe writers:

Assuming we always unpack the new release in the same place:

Run a php script after unpacking the new release, and it looks for a
list of changes in some scripts.

$MyMods=array(
'simple tables'=>'pmwiki.php,function FormatTableRow,33',
'login'=>'scripts/authuser.php,SDV($AuthPromptFmt,9');

It doesn't even have to be a hash; a simple array would do just as
well, but this is a bit more explicit to get the idea through :)

The php script simply compares X lines of the old and new scripts,
starting with the line starting with the needed string, and lets us
know if any change is detected, and where, so we can tell if we need
to change anything...

How useful would that be? Any possible traps a more seasoned recipe
writer can detect?

At 03:51 PM 9/1/2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>Well, I don't have a good solution in general for stuff like this.
>An automated check is probably a reasonable start.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)