[pmwiki-users] recipes on core elements

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Thu Sep 1 18:16:04 CDT 2005

At 06:44 PM 9/1/2005, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>Radu schrieb:
> > the markup table is processed almost
>>entirely each time a new markup is declared...
>
>AFAIK it isn't. Markup table creation is a two-step process: first,
>PmWiki collects all the rules,

each time a markup is added that requires rearrangement (which are
quite a few):
       foreach((array)@$MarkupTable[$id]['dep'] as $i=>$m)
         Markup($i,"$m$id");

I can't think of a better solution, but O() does seem dependent on
content, not only on N

>Otherwise, PmWiki would have been swamped with markup table creation
>already - reprocessing the entire table with each new rule is an
>O(N*N) process, and at roughly 100 markups, adding yet another
>markup would add a significant factor.

Oh, I sure didn't mean that the TEXT of the page is being
reprocessed; I meant that the table is, or rather, sections thereof.

And anyway, these are just picky details. What is important is the
Author experience. The more markup, the more fuss. And authors keep
asking me for a wysiwyg interface anyway, cos they are put off by a
few %styles% and assorted [[markup]] :)

>you have to make sure that the original purpose of the markup is
>still met by your code, and such things are notoriously tricky.
>Been there, tried that, then found a better way to do what I wanted :-)

And that is... :) probably the 'plugin interfaces' you mentioned?
Fancy term for calling other pmwiki functions?

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)