[pmwiki-users] Re: recipes on core elements

Christian Schlatter ch at schlatter.net
Thu Sep 1 20:37:23 CDT 2005

Radu wrote:
> So here's what I have in mind, for the use of recipe writers:
>
> Assuming we always unpack the new release in the same place:
>
> Run a php script after unpacking the new release, and it looks for a
> list of changes in some scripts.
>
> $MyMods=array(
> 'simple tables'=>'pmwiki.php,function FormatTableRow,33',
> 'login'=>'scripts/authuser.php,SDV($AuthPromptFmt,9');

In general you can not expect that your plugins still work with every
new version of PmWiki if you overwrite/change/patch functions of the core.

I'm writing right now a cookbook script for the integration of Menalto
Gallery2 into PmWiki (and hope to publish it soon ;-). During
development, I realized that there are lots of "plugin interfaces"
available. Of course it's not a full blown plugin infrastructure, but my
experience shows that these systems also restrict the plugin designer to
the offered interface. Whereas PmWiki has many "hooks" you can use in a
relatively safe manner and makes it possible to even change core
functionality without patching the core.

I suggest to avoid patching the core whenever possible. If the change
*really* has to be there, you should try to convince Pm to integrate in
the core ;-)

Just my 2 cents

-ChristianS