[pmwiki-users] UserAuth

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 10:36:36 CDT 2005

> Here come the questions...!
>
> 1) There seem to be two recipes that handle user authentication...
> UserAuth and AuthUser.  What is the difference?  Which is more newbie
> friendly!?

Rob, I am fairly new myself and after reading on on the two, went with
AuthUser. It actually addresses all the issues you commented on.

> 2) Using UserAuth-Admintool I see the users that I defined, but any
> alterations that I make causes the error... "Notice: userauth htpasswd
> file is not writable in..." What access rights need to be assigned to
> .htpassword? (At present it is 644 -rw-r--r--)

I believe it needs to be world writable: 666 -rw-rw-rw, but I may be wrong.

> 3) The skin that I am using is Simple.  This defines the Edit link in the
> simple.tmpl file.  Could someone give me a pointer as to how I can use
> conditional formatting (ie hide the edit link) based upon the current
> users.  It confuses me as the HTML seems to be outside the scope of
> PmWiki's conditional markup.

Yeah, I had the same confusion at first. AuthUser has some wiki Markup
built in that addresses that, but it can't be used in the HTML
template, which I found very frustrating at first - being that I'm
used to mixing PHP and HTML regularly. I currently have a half working
solution, but its not on the top if my priority list, so it'll have to
wait.

The basic premise is that template files can call PHP variables (but
not functions - if only), so in config.php or <groupname>.php or even
<groupname>.<pagename>.php one could befine a variable based upon
certain conditions and then the value (string) will be output to the
template.

--
----
Waylan Limberg