RecentChanges behavior (was:Re: [pmwiki-users] PmWikiDe group on pmwiki.org)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Sep 6 16:06:08 CDT 2005

At 2005-09-06  05:07 PM +0200, Sebastian Siedentopf is rumored to have said:
>>Yes, as written above, any time the title is changed then a new
>>entry will be created.  Do you want me to fix the above so that
>>each page only gets *one* entry in RecentChanges, even if its title
>>changes?
>
>Maybe I do not see it at the moment, but does any other behaviour
>make sense?

Am I mistaken, or does RecentChanges *not* behave like a journal or log?

I always expect to see *every* change made to a page in
RecentChanges, and I often find that changes I have made have been
superceded by someone else editing the page.

This would be fine behavior if the second change was exactly
reversing my change (using Restore, for example), but if two or more
people are editing the same page, I want to see the trail of edits
without having to go to the page history.

If the same author edits one page several times in a row, then there
might be some justification for collapsing the entries into a single
one, but that then loses the edit summaries (assuming they are different).

I guess the bottom line for me is that I think of RecentChanges as a
log. Am I alone in this sentiment??

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/