[pmwiki-users] Re: Fixed: Another ExtendedMarkup annoyance

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Sep 7 17:27:19 CDT 2005

On Thursday, 8 September 2005 9:09 AM, Dominique Faure <dominique.faure.1 at free.fr> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Filling some wiki pages, styles were driving me mad since I was unable to
>use real numbers (aka. '2.5em'). I started to reverse-engineer
>script/wikistyles.php regexps without any understanding why they shouldn't
>work...
>...until I found I was still including 'cookbook/extendmarkup.php', which
>presets $WikiStylePattern variable to a erroneous value (the decimal point
>was missing in *your* regexp definition).

Thank you for pointing this out. I have uploaded a fixed version.

In fact, I copied the wikistyle pattern from pmwiki. It seems that
the pattern has changed since then. I'm afraid I can't keep up with
every change that happens to the core; there are so many. Indeed,
this change is very recent, as beta 53 still matches the value in
markup extensions.

While I understand how frustrating this is for you,
we have been working with a beta and things change.

>Why not reusing core functionalities instead of redefining
>them?
>
>Instead of:
>SDV($WikiStylePattern,'%%|%[A-Za-z][-,=:#\\w\\s\'"]*%');
>
>I would have prefered found something like:
>if(IsEnabled($EnableStdWikiStyles,1))
>  include_once('script/wikistyles');
>else
>  SDV($WikiStylePattern,...

How do I know that somewhere later in the config.php file an
administrator hasn't disabled wikistyles? If the $WikiStylePattern
had been available to me at the time markup extensions needed it,
I would *of course* have used it. I think a better solution would be
to define the style pattern in the pmwiki core, along with all other
patterns. In the mean time, I have aligned the markup extensions with
the pattern given in pmwiki 2.0.2.

>Once again, I would vote for a less monolithic markup extension since I'm
>not requiring all the features it provides. At the end I would probably
>rewrite my own stripped down version.

In fact, the markup extensions are granular and individual ones can be
turned on or off at will. The specific problem you encountered is that
that particular definition was global. I'm sorry; it was a bug; I have
fixed it. Thank you once again for pointing this out.

I think I may be able to do this in a way that is even less obtrusive,
but I need to think about it -- meanwhile, the code is patched.

To turn off the bit of code that's defining the style pattern, set

    $MarkupExtensions['links'] = false;

in config.php. This will disable the wiki link tool tips option.

--
JR