[pmwiki-users] download links on pmwiki.org

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Mon Sep 12 17:05:48 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:53:24PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Recently 3 links were added to the sidebar:
> Download
> (tgz)
> (zip)
>
> I find it a bit disconcerting that they do not point to actual pages.
> The first points to a directory, the others to files.
> I find it okay if such links are used on a page, if it is made
> apparent where the links are pointing to, or what they are.
> But on a sidebar I find it too cryptic and confusing.
> Certainly I would expect to go to a page named 'Download',
> not just to a directory. Obviously the page 'Installation' fulfilled
> this purpose. Perhaps its link should be called 'Download & Install'.
>
> Do we need those three strange links?
> </end of moan>

I couldn't disagree more! ...well maybe I could. :)

Really, have you ever been to a comercial site to download
something to find nothing but a link maze.  Try downloading
ja*a from s*n some time.  What is the purpose of these
pages?  To sell me on their philosophy?  To convince me of
their quality and commitment and the completeness of their
line of technologies?  It does nothing but show contempt
for users.  If someone wants to download something, give
them the real thing, don't string them along!  I think
pmwiki links are very clear and to the point,

-Martin

Note: I had nothing to do with setting them up.