[pmwiki-users] Conditional Extensions

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Thu Sep 15 16:22:13 CDT 2005

Has there been any thought to creating conditional
extensions that would include == and != ?

I know that for most conditions this is not needed since a
conditions typically imply ==.  But, I am working on an
extension which would create many new variables and did not
think it very elegant to have to create a condition for
each one of these variables? i.e.

A few variables I will create --  conditions needed

{$PageList.Name}                  pagelist.name
{$PageList.Group}                 pagelist.group
{$PageList.PageCount}             pagelist.pagecount

I have about ten of these.

It would seem much more elegant to simply create the variables
on the right and then to use a condition such as

(:if {$PageList.Group} == Photos :)

instead of

(:if pagelist.group Photos :)

I realixe this is not the pmwiki way; is that because it is
considered too complicated, or somehow open to abuse?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also any thoughts on ways to nest conditions?

-Martin

PS.  In case anyone is interested, I am in the process of
creating a pagelist templating cookbook which allows the
output of a pagelist to be controlled by a wikipage
template.  It works great so far, I will upload after this
issue is a little more clear to me.