[pmwiki-users] Site.EditForm Template

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Sep 19 08:51:50 CDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 07:10:01PM -0400, DaveG wrote:
> When I edit pages I get a ` appearing in the Title:
>    Editing `MKI.Engine
>
> Checking Site.EditForm reveals a ` in the header, which I presume is to
> prevent a link in the edit header. So why is it displaying the ` rather
> than parsing it out? (Example:
> http://www.solidgone.com/pmwiki/index.php?n=MKI.Engine?action=edit)

It's a known bug, at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00510 .

The problem is that I'm not sure what to do to fix this particular bug.
You're correct that the ` is intended to prevent wikiword titles from
becoming links.  Unfortunately, MKI.Engine isn't a wikiword, so the ` rule
(as it currently stands) doesn't apply and the ` remains.

I'm really not sure what to do in this case.  One solution might be to
generalize ` so that it protects any word that follows, not just wikiwords.
I'm not sure of the downsides of that approach in general, because
there might be cases where someone wants a ` to be a `.

What we do here will also impact a couple of other related issues,
such as http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00519 in which the `
markup is also used to disable a wikiword for the remainder of
the page.

Another option might be to use (:nolinkwikiwords:) in the Site.EditForm
template to temporarily turn off wikiword links, instead of using "`"
to suppress the single link.  This means changing the Site.EditForm
(which also affects i18n translations a bit), but it could be done.

I'm open for suggestions.  :-)