[pmwiki-users] Recipe looking for author -- (:mail:)...(:mailend:)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 23 10:27:25 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:28:12PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> I just copied'n'pasted an e-mail onto my wiki and realised that it'd be
> good to have a special markup to wrap around the e-mail.
> [...]
> So how about if we introduce a special markup, (:mail:)...(:mailend:), to
> be placed around e-mails? I'm far from sure about exactly what the
> markup should do, but here's some of the things I think might be useful:
> * Recognize links
> * Recongize e-mail addresses
> * Break long lines automatically (perhaps assuming 80 characters wide)
> * Preserve line breaks?

As an alternative, what if we did something along the lines of
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ExcelPaste, where someone can
paste in an email message, press a button and PmWiki "re-formats" the
email format into PmWiki markup?

The concern I have with (:mail:)...(:mailend:) is that we're
effectively saying that PmWiki pages can have two separate markups --
one for normal text and a second, somewhat different one for
embedded email messages.  It seems to me like we ought to be able
to have a better approach than this...