[pmwiki-users] Re: How use lowercase in Group Names

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Thu Sep 29 01:27:04 CDT 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Oh, I'd very much like to do that as well -- I just haven't found a good
> way to do it on case-sensitive filesystems such as Unix.
>
> Let me try to frame the overall problem a bit -- given a url
> such as .../pmwiki.php?n=main.homepage, PmWiki has to determine the
> correct case of "main.homepage" so that it can be stored in $pagename.

What about ambiguities due to treating page names (or group names to a
lesser extent) without considering the case?

Let's theoretically say my name is Martin and I'm a doctor. I might then
decide to create a group called DrM, with the home page DrM.DrM. But
someone else might like to create a group called DRM (with the homepage
DRM.DRM), which would be about digital rights management.

This is perhaps not the best example, but we should consider how these
cases should be handled. Should they not be allowed (i.e. DrM and DRM
would co-exist in the same group)? Should some kind of "best fit" be used,
i.e. "DRM" -> DRM.DRM, while "DrC" -> DrC.DrC. If so, where does "DRm" go?

Completely orthogonal to this issue, I think it would be nice to be able
to have names (page and/or group) that are completely in lower case.

(I'm not sure if this is relevant, but Swedish rarely have capitalized
words in our titles, making the mixed case unnatural for swedish pages).

So... if we didn't use mixed case to separate the words, what could we use
instead?   Well, what about '+', although that is such a simple suggestion
so I assume it's already been discussed before.

/Christian

PS. This post should perhaps have been split up into two... since the
issues IMO are orthogonal.