[pmwiki-users] Help! Performance problem after server move

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Apr 3 15:02:12 CDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 02:52:45PM -0400, Robin Hills wrote:
> Apologies if this has been covered somewhere before. I'm sure it
> probably has.

Actually, I haven't encountered this before.

> I'm the administrator at Flu Wiki. The domain is www.fluwikie.com but
> you won't raise it right now because the account has been suspended. We
> moved to a new host on Saturday and there have been problems ever since.
> I'm told that the application is using 110% of the processor even when
> "it's just sitting there".

PmWiki doesn't do normally anything that eats up a lot of
processor time such as this.  There would have to be a locking
issue, an out of memory issue, or a configuration error with PHP
and/or the webserver.

What version of PmWiki are you running?

> I've been told it's a configuration issue even though I'm running
> exactly the same configuration files as I have been for a couple of months.
>
> One thing I noticed is that while my config.php doesn't have a closing
> ?> tag, the per group customization files all do.

It's normal for the .php files to not have the closing ?> tag --
even recommended (see Hagan Fox's post).  It wouldn't explain
the performance issues you're seeing.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. This move started last Tuesday
> and for a variety of other reasons we've been down more often than up
> ever since.

I really haven't experienced anything like what you're describing,
so I really suspect it's a configuration issue on the server.
I'll be very happy to lend whatever support I can to track it
down (but I don't know that there's much I can do while the
application is suspended).