[pmwiki-users] wikipublisher questions

noskule noskule at gmx.net
Tue Apr 4 06:47:40 CDT 2006

John Rankin schrieb:

>On Tuesday, 4 April 2006 1:29 AM, noskule at gmx.net wrote:
>

>>John Rankin schrieb:
>>

><snip>
>

>>>- remove all the PDF options buttons and links
>>>
>>>- add a PDF options button to the wikipublisher screen
>>>
>>>- pressing PDF options takes you to the same screens you see at
>>> present
>>>
>>>- pressing Submit *takes you back to the Wikipublisher screen*
>>>

><snip>
>

>>>So your image 1 is quite feasible, but your image 2 could be a great
>>>deal of effort to realise. Of course, we can do anything, given enough
>>>time and money.
>>>

>>At the moment theres no concret commercial project, but if, that could
>>happen . . ..
>>

>Just be aware that we implemented what was feasible, given the
>constraints of time, cost, skill, and reuse of existing code. We
>didn't start with an unconstrained "ideally the interface would
>look like this, how do we implement it"; rather we started with
>"these are the constraints, what's the best interface we can build".

guess thats the typical diffrence of desing and engenieering, Design
starts with to look at the ideal interface / layout / functionality. And
engineering looks for a resonable way to realize it . . ..

>The hard part of your approach is that the Options button has to
>be context sensitive; it needs to know which of the many kinds of
>typesetting request is being made and generate a different form
>with different hidden variables in each case. On the other hand,
>by making it an extra button on existing forms, it already has
>the information it needs, 'cos it's already there in the form.
>This also let us add the options code incrementally -- with it
>on the Wikipublisher page, you have to implement all or nothing.
>
>In your approach, every time one adds a new type of typesetting
>command (someone wants to publish a calendar from one of the
>other calendars, for example), one has to do everything twice:
>once in the code to add a Typeset button and once to add a new
>kind of Option. And you don't have a choice -- you can't choose
>not to offer Options for a particular service, or turn it off
>temporarily because something has broken.

Oky the next step I'm trying is to put a option button in the
wikipublisher screen, so theres one link to pdf and an optional screen
for the options. The user has to press back to page. . .. this should be
a resonable solution.

>In other words: do not underestimate the complexity of what you
>are proposing. I'm not yet convinced that the benefits are worth
>the costs. Still, if you have a real project with a real budget,
>let us know!

oky, but cant promisse something

><snip>
>

>>>[.................] ( Email )
>>>
>>>rather than
>>>
>>>( Email to ) [.................]
>>>

>>yep better, but at least it sould be consistent in a way. To write:
>>Email to [......] submit
>>needs so much space .. .
>>

>Yes, we tried and rejected that for the same reason.
>Version 2.0.4 uses 'Email'.
>

><snip>
>

>>>If you can figure out how to do this, let me know!
>>>

>>Hm, I ask this in a forum, hope i get an answer, I would try to put the
>>following code:
>>
>>header("Location:|{$PageUrl}|");
>>
>>at the end of the  point where publishpdf executes the form submit
>>command, but I couldnt find  the location in the code. (thats just from
>>a "not realy understand php view). But if you could provide me with a
>>hint where it is I try  out some things . . . .
>>

>It may not be that simple. The form sends you to the url of the
>wikipublisher server, which may be in the same window or a new one.
>So you are handing off control to another server. As I say, I don't
>know enough to answer your question (hence the constraint about
>building what we had the skill to build, which may not be what one
>wants to build).
>
>Cheers and thanks again for the comments. I hope you don't mind that
>my answer boils down to "I don't know and it's too hard to figure out."

no problem.  In the next days we will check out wikipublisher output
with some documents, so we can provide you with some more infos . . . .
grz nos