[pmwiki-users] Help! Performance problem after server move

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 4 16:33:18 CDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:19:33PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> > I'm fairly
> > convinced it's not directly PmWiki's fault, because it happens very
> > inconsistently.  For more details -- see my message at
> > http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2006-March/025470.html.
>
> Now that "happens very inconsistently" triggered something in my mind.
>
> I know of one thing that happens at random intervals in PHP: session GC.
> With the standard settings, it is run with a 1% probability - very
> difficult to reproduce any problems with that.
> [...]

I'm pretty certain the problem isn't session GC.  Although session GC
does occur randomly (with a 1% probability), when it does occur
it always happens at session initialization time -- i.e., when
session_start() is executed.  In PmWiki (on pmwiki.org), this
would have to be during calls to RetrieveAuthPage.

The testing I've been doing is pretty fine grained--well below
the function-call level.  So, if the delays were consistently
occurring as part of session initialization (i.e., during
page authorization), I could narrow it down pretty quickly
to that.  But that's not what I'm seeing -- the delays occur
at different times in pmwiki processing.

Also, I see the slow processing times even when no session
handling is taking place.  So, I'm pretty sure it must
be something else.