[pmwiki-users] Is it possible to create and use page-scoped variables?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 6 09:23:46 CDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 03:13:30PM +0100, Octocias wrote:
>    Lets say I will refer to a particular URL many times in a wikiPage. If
>    possible, I'd like to declare a variable at the start of the page with a
>    string value equal to the URL. Subsequent to that, I can just use the
>    variable. Also, if the url changes, I can just change the variable at the
>    top of the page, rather than searching/replacing in the edit box.

Ah, these are what we've called "page properties" in the past.
In the past we've discussed the idea of having a (:property:)
markup  -- i.e., something like:

    (:property home http://www.example.com:)

which could then be later used in the markup as "{$home}" or
something equivalent.

Unfortunately, there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem that
hasn't been resolved yet, especially for conditionals and includes.
For example, some people want to be able to use a property in
a conditional:

    (:property testing true:)

    (:if {$testing}:)
    some markup here for testing
    (:if:)

This implies that the (:property:) and {$...} markups have to be
performed *before* conditional markup processing.

Other times, people would like to be able to set a property
inside a conditional:

    (:if auth edit:)
    (:property message "You don't have permission to edit":)
    (:if:)

    {$message}

This means that the (:property:) markup has to be performed
*after* conditional markup processing.

At the moment I don't have a good solution short of a major
redesign of PmWiki's internal rendering engine, so lacking
a good solution, I haven't implemented anything here yet.

For version 2.0 there was the Cookbook.Properties recipe, I
don't know if this recipe will still work under 2.1.

Pm