[pmwiki-users] changing permissions

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 11 15:21:08 CDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Julian Fox <jbfox at sdb.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Terribly simple question this one for someone who knows how! I'm new to
> the scene.  My host provider has given me php permission so I've got as
> far as setting up the wiki in its folder on the host server - but am
> asked to make a chmod change to make the wiki.d folder writable.
> Trouble is I don't know how to do that from here.  Can I use MS
> Frontpage to do it somehow?  I can certainly get into my site through
> that means and fiddle around with files and folders, but I see nowhere
> where I can change the permissions on a folder.  Or using the command
> prompt in Windows can I get in there somehow? I'm confident enough about
> making the change if I just know how to get to that directory where I
> can actually give a command somehow.
> Any help would be appreciated.  Of course I can always ask the Host
> provider to do it for me (from thousands of miles away) but I'd prefer
> to know how to do it myself.

Your best bet is probably to use an FTP or SCP file management
program, which will give you a graphical interface for changing the
directory's permissions.  Here are two to consider:

FTP Program

FileZilla FileZilla is a fast and reliable FTP client and server with
lots of useful features and an intuitive interface.

SCP Program

WinSCP WinSCP is an open source SFTP client for Windows. Its main
function is the secure file transfer between a local and a remote
computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers basic file manager functionality.
It uses Secure Shell (SSH) and supports, in addition to Secure FTP,
also legacy SCP protocol.

Hagan