[pmwiki-users] SSL setup

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 12:09:15 CDT 2006

On 4/21/06, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> H. Fox schrieb:
> >>
> >> The only change that needs to be made specifically for the sake of the
> >> SSL environment is to add/change two lines in local/config.php:
> >>                 $ScriptUrl = 'https://www.address.com/wiki/pmwiki.php';
> >>                 $PubDirUrl = 'https://www.address.com/wiki/pub';
> >>
> >> ??
>
> You could try
>
>    $ScriptUrl = '/wiki/pmwiki.php';
>    $PubDirUrl = '/wiki/pub';
>
> so that the browsers auto-complete the protocol and host name part of
> the URL (I think they should).
>
> That way, you are not sold to the https vs. http decision.
>
> > Try putting this in your .htaccess file:
> >
> >   SSLRequireSSL
> >
> > http://www.apache-ssl.org/docs.html#SSLRequireSSL
>
> Not needed if URLs like the above are used.
>
> SSLRequireSSL will generate just a nasty error message in case of people
> accessing the page without SSL. A redirect (preferably permanent) would
> be more appropriate.
> Probably easiest using mod_rewrite, since it can redirect visitors
> directly to the SSL version of the page.

I'm not hip to 'mod_rewrite', but I can tell them to plug
    $ScriptUrl = '/wiki/pmwiki.php';
    $PubDirUrl = '/wiki/pub';
into their config.php, if that will cover it.

I would just ask if someone could also address the subsidiary question
that I kind of buried in my original post:  does it need to be
    $ScriptUrl = '/wiki/pmwiki.php';
or can it be
    $ScriptUrl = '/wiki';

?

The latter is more or less what we already do on most of our installations.

Thanks, all!  I hope someone will write this up for novice admins in
the documentation.

Tegan