[pmwiki-users] custom markup/regular expression help

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Fri Apr 21 17:24:46 CDT 2006

On Saturday, 22 April 2006 8:57 AM, J. Meijer <commentgg at hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/21/06, Bronwyn Boltwood <bronwyn at bronwynb.info> wrote:
>>I need 3 nestable, easy-to-use custom markups, since wikistyles are a pain
>>when used every few words.  They would be:
>>- application term or label
>>- required field
>>- linked field
>
>The question is about what should be the wiki-markup?
>
>Did you consider using current markup (like that for emphasis) and changing
>the output' to something like:

>? Why doesn't that work for you?

Or borrow an unused html tag such as <kbd> and <cite> and
specify a special css rule plus a new set of markups...

When developing the markup extensions, I found
'<special character> ... <special character>' was quite a
flexible and easy-to-remember markup structure. For example,
I used '@ ... @' for <kbd> and '/ ... /' for <cite>.
You need 3 so perhaps something like:

'* ... *' for required

': ... :' for a different font

'# ... #' for underlined text

None of these is likely to occur in casual text.
And you don't have to give up ** ... ** or // ... //.

PmWiki already has '^ ... ^', '_ ... _', '+ ... +' and '- ... -'
so you would just be extending an existing model.

--
JR