[pmwiki-users] Different Markup definitions for a section?

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Sun Apr 23 15:27:46 CDT 2006

Its looking like I have a need for a different set of markup notations
in a given section. That is, I want to disable certain markups (but not
necessarily all of them), and introduce a few extra ones for all text
that's between special section markers.

For example, something like this:

(:compactlist listname:)
| alpha, beta, gamma; a, b, c; aleph, beth | one, two, three; uno, duos,
tres
(:endcompactlist:)

Which would need to generate something like this:
<ol id="listname">
  <li><ul>
  </ul></li>
  <li><ul>
  </ul></li>
</ol>

BTW, I have no idea how one would generate the above using standard
markup (how do you create a list that's entries are lists of lists?),
but that's beside the point.

I anticipate the special purpose markup that I will need will greatly
diverge from the standard PmWiki markup, but only when writing these
special sections. On the other hand some standard markup (like link
markup, italics, bold) will still need to work in those sections, while
other markup (tables, headings, for example) will need to be disabled
because I plan to steal their markup letters (as in the above).

I'm willing to do the work involved, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to
the best way of engineering special-purpose section-specific markup in
PmWiki. Any advice?