[pmwiki-users] nesting divs and tables

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Aug 5 07:53:13 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I'm experimenting with a feature on pmwiki.org to allow nesting
> (:table:) within (:div:), (:div:) within (:table:), and divs
> within divs.  (Nesting of table directives still isn't supported.)
>
> See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/NestTableAndDiv for some samples.
>
> Also, out of curiosity, is there anyone who is likely to be
> negatively impacted by this change?  Since nesting hasn't been
> allowed until now, the only case I can imagine that might cause
> a problem is where an author has relied on (:table:)/(:cell:)
> to automatically close a >>div<</(:div:) and vice-versa.  But
> I can't imagine that this is at all common (and, of course,
> it's easily fixed when it does occur).

I would think that consecutive divs might be more common.  As you said,
that could be easily fixed, but I wonder whether the difficulty may lie
in diagnosing what has happened (would the result always be fairly
obvious, or would it be subtle)

Perhaps a few quick tests might be in order, followed by a decision of
whether to have nested divs turned off by default, with a setting on
config.php

Pico