[pmwiki-users] A question about skins

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Aug 8 12:29:40 CDT 2006

 said...
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 02:29:06AM +0200, Clemens Gruber wrote:
> > Andrew Standfield wrote:
> >
> > >65 characters, or 10-15 words. When lines are longer, it takes a
> > >greater amount of time for the brain to find the start of a new line
> > >when your eyes snap back to the left.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to say thats a case for columns, so you can put as much parts
> > as you like side by side, with a pleasing reading wide. But I can't find
> > working CSS column definition in today's browsers ... and keep on
> > dreaming ... ;-)
> >
> > A good basic approach is done by Dan Cederholm, auther of "Bulletproof
> > Web Design", s.
> > http://www.simplebits.com/publications/bulletproof/
> >
> > On this site you can switch from a fix width layout to a variable -- the
> > two "kissing" triangle next the navigation. I think for some cases it's
> > good to have as much space you can get, e.g. large maps, photos and so
> > on. But the best approach is to let the user decide what to use, he or
> > she is the real expert.
> >
> Yes, I think this last is my real issue with some of the 'limited
> column width' Wiki skins. I want to put stuff other than text on my
> Wiki

That's where nested divs come in.

> and, in that case, limited width is just a pointless limitation.

That's definitely an "in my opinion" statement, er, imo.

It's certainly the case that some (most?) of the skins aren't
particularly div/float-friendly, but some hacking often boots them in to
shape.

However, while I prefer to use a limited width skin, I have a
requirement to burst out of it for certain things and in these cases I
swap to an amended version of the skin for those pages. I have tried
varying the central column width with a few javascript and CSS swapping
hacks, but couldn't quite get things to work as I wanted - perhaps with
more time spent on the problem I could.

The great thing is that PmWiki provides all this flexibility out of the
box. The addition of nested divs is a fabulous addition to layout
flexibility - and might save a few skins <arf, arf>

--
Best,
Marc