[pmwiki-users] Can subversion update remote server

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed Aug 9 22:31:30 CDT 2006

I just tried an update of my local PmWiki using Subversion and was
surprised at how fast it was.  Is there anyway I can use Subversion to
update me remotely hosted PmWiki by running my local Subversion client?
If not, any suggestions on improving my upgrade procedure (shown below)

My hosting company does not have Subversion installed and does not
provide me with any command-line access.
As a result, I have been using ftp whenever I upgrade PmWiki and the
process is always painfully slow (with inevitable timeouts and
disconnects).  I have tried different ftp clients, some of which seem
better than others with timeouts and retries, but the process has never
been anything better than slow.

In balancing between speed and safety with my limited ftp access, I
choose to customize a new install, as opposed to upgrading a prior
install, like this:

1. FTP the latest version of PmWiki to a "pmwiki-latest" directory on my
remote host
2. Copy config, cookbook and skins from my existing "pmwikifarm" to the
new "pmwiki-latest"
3. Rename directories (oldfarm-> deleteme; pmwikifarm->oldfarm;
pmwiki-latest->pmwikifarm)

The slowest part of the process is simply uploading the latest pmwiki.
Perhaps I could speed up that part of the process if I uploaded the
zipped file and used some php script to have the remote server upzip it.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Pico