[pmwiki-users] I need help with clean URLs

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Aug 12 17:00:04 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 01:23:00PM -0700, info at theburroughsproject.com wrote:
>> Patrick, thank you very much for clearing all that up. Unfortunately,
>> this still isn't working for me. This is what I've done:
>>
>> I created an "index.php" file, that contains the single line:
>> <?php include_once('pmwiki.php');
>>
>> This works fine for making "www.example.com" work.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> Then I created an .htaccess file with exactly this in it:
>>
>> # Use mod_rewrite to enable "Clean URLs" for a PmWiki installation.
>> RewriteEngine On
>> # The rewrite base will be the document root.
>> RewriteBase /
>> # Send requests without parameters to pmwiki.php.
>> RewriteRule ^$           pmwiki.php  [L]
>> # Send requests for index.php to pmwiki.php.
>> RewriteRule ^index\.php$ pmwiki.php  [L]
>> # Send requests to pmwiki.php, appending the query string part.
>> RewriteRule ^([^/a-z].*) pmwiki.php?n=$1  [QSA,L]
>>
>> and placed it in my main web folder (the same one that contains
>> "pmwiki.php").
>>
>> At this point URLs like "www.example.com/SomeGroup/SomePage" do not
>> work, I just get a 404, but the old URLs, with the
>> "?n=SomeGroup.SomePage" still work fine.
>
> Hmm.  I've done some reading on this, and apparently some GoDaddy
> accounts don't support htaccess, or at least not "out of the box".
>
> First, I note that all of GoDaddy's documentation refers to
> "htaccess" without the dot, so you might try renaming ".htaccess"
> to "htaccess" and see if that fixes anything.
>
> If that doesn't work, it may be that you need to "upgrade your account
> to run Hosting Configuration 2.0", whatever that means.  GoDaddy describes
> this somewhat at
> http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?article_id=1082&prog_id=GoDaddy .

FWIW I use GoDaddy cheap account (less than $3 a month on renewal) and
CleanUrls used to work fine.  Alas, it no longer works, but I thought it
was something I broke (I wrote one e-mail, Pm gave a good suggestion,
but when it didn't work I decided to save the aggravation and embrace
the dirty state of my URLs.

Pico