[pmwiki-users] Group & subgroup behavior

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Aug 18 09:39:57 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> The biggest negative I see with the reiser4-inspired proposal
> is the need for the colon to a sibling link.

One downside is unavoidable here.

Either the current page is also the current group, in which case
accessing child pages will require a prefix.
Or the parent page is also the current group, in which case accessing
sibling pages will require a prefix.

Pick your evil ;-)

 > It seems to me
> that sibling links are by far the most common, and so requiring
> a colon on each one optimizes markup the wrong way.

Hmm... Links to child pages could well become common. Particularly if
group pages are to contain some sort of directory of their subpages.

OTOH I see that all existing wikis have sibling links, so there's value
in keeping backwards compatibility. I also have to concur that the "one
huge group" wiki is probably the most relevant use case, in which case
all links are sibling links.

> It also goes against the natural inclination of most filesystems,
> in which a bare name "B" within file "A" refers to a file named
> "B" in the same folder as "A", and not to a child of "A".

OK, now *that's* an argument that helps sort out intuition.

Seems like we have a consensus of what's to be considered the "current
directory/group": it's the parent of the current page.

Unless I read any serious objections, I'll update the Proposals page to
nail that down and give link syntax designers a firm ground to start from.

Regards,
Jo