[pmwiki-users] MT-Blacklist

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sat Aug 19 11:54:11 CDT 2006

At 2006-08-19  09:52 AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>As we discussed earlier in the year, PmWiki really ought to
>have blocklisting built in to the core, so I'm planning to
>add that soon.  Having looked at the mt-blacklist.php recipe
>a bit it's likely that I'll include some sort of "shared blocklist"
>capabilities as well, and host a blocklist on pmwiki.org (that
>can be used in addition to other blocklists).
>
>Any other comments or thoughts?

My 2 cents worth: make the core blocklist something like Hagan's
csmb-blocklist script which has proved to be 99.9% effective for me.

IP-based blocking is close to useless, because wikispammers aren't
restricted to coming from SMTP server IPs (IP-based blocking is very
effective on mail servers).

By far, the most effective filter I have found is URL fragment
blocking, as in "block badguy.com".

I would not use a shared blocklist except for selecting initial
entries to populate my own local list(s). Having farm-wide and
wiki-specific blocklists is a big plus.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/