[pmwiki-users] Announcement: Google Map API v.2.0.0--Hot off the press

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 10:48:18 CDT 2006

Finally released---let the mayhem commence![1]

Google Map API v.2.0.0 is a redesign of the markup interface as well
as the structure of the recipe itself. The goal was to limit confusion
with the markup. Markup is reduced to three types: map, line and
point. The map markup only effects the map and its controls, and does
not take lat/lon. The line and point markups take lat/lon. Etc.

I have tried to make the documentation clear. However, I realize that
I do not always write in clear terms. So, I invite documentation
clarification.

I encourage those who are using this recipe to try this API and report
any issues you encounter. I will do my best to make timely
corrections.

Not found in this release is the use of Icons. I had planned to
implement them in this release. However, I discovered that there are
many ways to implement icons. I want to take the time to research
these to find the most efficient one---rather than rush to implement
what may be a limiting approach. However, the hooks are in the API for
icons.

I also have hooks for multiple maps on a page. However, that will have
to wait for a subsequent release. The goal of v.2.0 was to clean up
the markup, not necessarily to introduce any new features.

Finally, Pm has helped me make the ZIP code data file available on
PmWiki. This is a modified version of the original Census data file (I
removed superfluous data).

[1]: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GoogleMapAPI

--
Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT