[pmwiki-users] PmWiki Pagelist idea

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 12:10:01 CDT 2006

Pico wrote:

> If you get a chance, take a look at PITS/00689 for a
> suggestion I had for enhancing pagelists to allow
> results to be grouped in batches, so that you could
> page from one to the next.  That would be great for
> pageliist image gallery, so that you could control
> the size of a desired grid of thumbnails
> automatically.

Sure, I have already implemented it in a development
version of my PagelistExtensions recipe, you can see
some samples here:

http://www.theficks.name/test/plext.dev/pmwiki.php?n=Test.PageListCounts

I have implemented a skip=, groupskip= and a
pergroupskip=

The reason I have not released it yet is because I
have not completely figured out how to use it to
create pagination automatically.  This extension only
solves one third of the puzzle, the ability to
actually show sublists.  The second third of the
puzzle is solved by my HttpVariables recipe, the
ability to grap the sublist parameters from a URL or
cookie.  The third piece I have not solved yet, the
ability to automatically create all the links needed
to show the next, prev and other pagination links.  It
seems to me that some form of math is needed for this.
 If attempting to display 10 links (or images) per
page and I am on the second page, I need to be able to
calculate 11 - 10 and 11 + 10 for the previous and
next links, and various other numerical computations
to get the other links (again an isdivisible
conditional might be good for this).  I have a sample
here where the 'next' actually works and I manually
supply some numerical links:

http://www.theficks.name/test/plext.dev/pmwiki.php?n=Test.Paging?count=10

I have not tried to solve this problem yet, but it
seems to me that a recipe could easily be written (if
none already exists) to do wiki math that works the
same way that conditional extensions used to work.  I
might be convinced to code one up if no one else is
willing to do it. :)

-Martin