[pmwiki-users] Google Analytics

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Aug 23 21:26:21 CDT 2006

At 2006-08-24  11:16 AM +1200, Allister Jenks is rumored to have said:
>I struggle to see (a) what makes Google Analytics "Commercial" in the
>absolute sense.  Does placement of Adsense ads make a site commercial
>as well?  I have several PmWiki powered sites.  One of them is
>commercial because it is selling a service and that is its *primary*
>purpose.

There is a difference between having a wiki that has "commercial"
features (such as ads) and having core wiki software that includes a
tie-in to a commercial entity (in this case, Google).

In the case of the commercial wiki, it probably does not matter to
the admin whether the commercial components are part of the core or
are add-ons.

In the case of a wiki that is trying to remain free of commercial
tie-ins (for whatever reasons), having such a tie-in built into the
core software makes it an unusable solution.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/